Friday, January 29, 2010

end of acute care

Time flies, it has finally come to an end. And it ended beautifully. =)


My last few days of doing acute care had been a busy one. Have been departing at 730am and back at 6pm. The delaying factor of today is the student case conference, where we presented a case of acute cholecystitis. I wouldn't say it's a successful one, but I got so much satisfaction of it. Don't know why, it kinda made my day.

Realized a pattern throughout my 4 weeks of attachment to this strand. I started with lots of excitement, followed by boredom at the middle and at the end of it, excitement again. Both ED and acute surgical ended when my excitement has gone up again. Probably I have this delayed sensory syndrome that I always find out the interesting part when things are coming to an end. Am gonna miss acute care so much, and I can't wait to do it again in the final year! :D

Talking about today, I spent 3 hours in the theatre witnessing a gastrectomy surgery. The case was so rare (here in Ireland) that I gave up my lunch time and feedback tutorial for it. A medical student like me can be very cold blooded at times. The more symptoms and signs and diseases a patient has, the more excited I am as they make the case more interesting. OMG that sounds so wrong I know, but at the same time we learn more from it.

Tomorrow is gonna be a whole day of lecture. Wish me luck!

0 msgs: