Tuesday, February 9, 2010

the most relaxing strand

Everyday 8am, we will have ward round. I noticed that before and after each ward round, the team will have a little discussion. After the after-round discussion, the team always 'poof~', disappeared from the ward as a team, leaving 5 of us to ourselves deciding what to do.

I always wonder where have they been doing after the rounds. As for us, we take histories from patients and present to one of them. Today I finally found out what they normally do after rounds - tea in hospital cafe. Today, they had their tea for 1hr. And us, 2hrs.

And today, I came back as early as 2pm due to cancellation of the tutorial. I know I should have stayed to deal more with patients. However, the patients list has been almost the same since last week when we started our attachment. Plus, many wards are currently closed due to suspected norovirus and gastroenteritis infection. Ideally, students should avoid the wards to minimize the chance of spreading. Some of the wards that we have been loitering around were closed since last week. I hope none of us will be infected, though some of us have had running nose, and me myself have had sputum (no cough) in the throat.

It is a pleasure to see the patients improving slowly. Many of them have decreased quality of life after stroke. Some of them manage to improve well, from the state of confused and uncommunicable to well, alert and communicate well. Some improve from the state of bedridden to walking around in the ward, while some from partial paralyzed to having breakfast independently.  Many are discharged too, with walking sticks or transferred to nursing homes. Lucky for me, none of the patients under this team died so far since I am attached.

I feel like going for conferences instead of ward rounds. Should I?

0 msgs: