As what the title suggested, 2 patients cried today, indirectly, because of me.
Carried out a test on a patient. Questions were asked, but I received stares and some scattered words. I didn't know if she couldn't understand me, or she couldn't express her thoughts. Stopped the rest upon realizing the patient's mood change. Not long after I left, I saw her wiping her tears. Checked her file, and realized, she has receptive and expressive dysphasia. The fact that she also has Alzheimer's made me feel better. At least she won't remember what has happened.
Second patient, she can communicate well, which made things easier. When we asked her if she has any pain anywhere on her body, "I am heartbroken.." She said softly, and soon after that, she cried. But just for a few seconds, she was back to normal. Checked her file and realized she has hearing hallucination.
A very good start of this strand I would say! Things were so easy in the acute care, where all the patients are able to communicate, and we were able to harvest as many info as we can. I realized how things become challenging in this strand. What's more saddening is the patients' fate. Due to their inability to communicate, they stayed in their own worlds of loneliness. Perhaps having Alzheimer's or dementia is better for them. They wont be able to think much, and wont remember things, hence less sufferings.
Things weren't all difficult in this strand. To my surprise, 2 oldest patients in the ward gave us big surprises and happiness. Despite the fact that we need to shout to their ears, they communicated very well, and cracked jokes a lot. Very lovely ladies, they made my day!
Sometimes, I am good in predicting things. Things turned out good as wished. I doubt if she ever put herself in my shoes and think from my side. Whatever it is, conflict is tiring. The sooner it ends, the better it is. Whatever.

0 msgs:
Post a Comment