Can I believe myself that I actually scrubbed in for the above surgery??
It was a big big surgery involving big big steps on a oesophageal cancer patient. To simplify it..
1. An incision made on the upper abdomen.
2. Stomach mobilized.
3. Incision made on the neck.
4. Oesophagus cut at the neck level.
5. Oesophagus pulled downwards through the diaphragm (hence 'transhiatal') and was removed together with part of the stomach.
6. The stomach was made into a tube shape and pulled upwards through the diaphragm to 'replace' the oesophagus.
7. Anastomosis between oesophagus and stomach.
One word to describe - GRAND! I'm really very lucky to get to scrub in for it. Not only I get to assist (though in a very minor way) but more importantly I get to have a very close look at the entire procedure OMG!! It's totally worth it staying in the theatre till 6pm!
Also for today: appendicectomy, sleeve gastrectomy, diaphragm repair, oesophageal stent removal.
Super contented!! XD
Friday, March 12, 2010
transhiatal oesophagectomy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 msgs:
is it the one gastric bending?
nope..gastric banding is another type of surgery for the obese. i havent seen that yet so far.
Post a Comment