Sunday, May 2, 2010

'perfect' vs 'not bad'

Entering the Western world, I have heard lots and lots of 'very good', 'excellent', 'perfect'.


Initially I was surprised to receive such praises, and a simple 'excellent' can make my day. Even at times, I find it unacceptable, because to me, the word 'perfect' (especially) should be reserved to something really really perfect and should not be used that regularly.

Watched a few china tv shows recently. I can somehow see how the westerners see us as 'lack of confidence'. When the guests (in the tv shows) were asked about their opinions on something, they always say 'not bad', 'quite ok', although in their mind, they like it very much. 

Recently chat with a friend back home. He asked me about my phone which I described as 'insensitive keypad, otherwise perfect'. His reply was 'Wow..is it really THAT perfect?'. Well I mean 'perfect' but I don't mean 'perfect perfect', if you get what I mean.

I still prefer the humble way I used to be. But to survive in this western society, I have to act more confident, although I do have the confidence that the westerners fail to sense. For those who haven't seen me for a long time, if you see me over exaggerating or talking too directly, because I think I'm unfortunately westernized.

0 msgs: